Come Journey With Us
"This is what the LORD says: 'Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.'"
Who Are We
All Saints, Long Beach is an Anglican Church and part of the Diocese of Western Anglican in the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA). We are further part of a global communion of churches established over the centuries by the Church of England, and in partnership with Orthodox provinces in the Anglican Communion. Our worship is liturgical, drawing from the Book of Common Prayer. Our faith finds expression every Sunday in the words of the Nicene Creed.
The congregation in Long Beach began holding services in 1923, has been in its current location since 1925, and became the Diocesan Cathedral October 27, 2017. Our current rector is the Very Rev. Dr. Scott Pedersen who brings experience in and a love for discipleship and mission.
The history of All Saints parish is long and varied, and dedicated to spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We put all our faith and trust in the God of creation and redemption. We rejoice that Jesus will come again in glory to renew all things, and while we await this final event of history, we praise him for the way he builds up his church through his Holy Spirit by miraculously changing lives in order that we join him in this mission to make all things new. We joyfully proclaim and submit to the Lordship of Jesus Christ and gladly obey the Great Commission of the risen Lord to make disciples of all nations. We desire to be a church that through love and hospitality welcomes all people and affirms the dignity and value of every human being as life is of inestimable worth, as each bears the image of our gracious God. We are mindful of our responsibility to be good stewards of God’s creation, and to uphold and advocate Kingdom justice in society, to seek relief and empowerment of the poor. We reject all language that assaults peoples dignity. We desire to be the first to speak up for the stranger, the immigrant, the oppressed, the hurting, the poor. This is our opportunity to live out the gospel by seeing the face of God in the faces of the vulnerable, hurting, desperate, and broken.
All Saints began its life as a mission church in 1923. The new mission church was envisioned by the rector of Saint Luke’s Episcopal Church in Long Beach and was designed to serve the growing population of the city. The St. Luke’s Brotherhood of Saint Andrew undertook the initial steps to begin the project. The first services of All Saints Church were held at Horace Mann School; just a stones throw from the current location of the parish.
In 1925 the committed members of the parish acquired the church’s current location. Two lay readers from the parish began services at this site in a small bungalow. From these humble beginnings All Saints Church began to grow.
On September 22, 1929 the first service was conducted in the newly constructed church building. The local paper, The Long Beach Press-Telegram, described the new building as a “Rural Rustic Design, Unique and Artistic in Every Detail”.
The first rector of the parish, the Reverend F. Augustus Martyr, began his ministry at All Saints in February of 1928 and continued through 1952. Fr. Augustus saw the congregation through the 1933 Long Beach earthquake, the improvements to the structure needed to make it sound, and the many gifts the parish received that enhanced its sense of holy space. During this period the main altar and reredos were added. In addition, a hand carved pulpit and lectern began their use.
After Fr. Augustus left, All Saints enjoyed the service of four rectors between 1952 and 1975. The style and form of the worship developed over this time, and more improvements were made to the structure of the building and the grounds.
This period saw the nave expand to its current cruciform shape and a family worship service was added. The last priest of this time was Fr. Donald Behm, who was rector from 1966 to 1975. In 1966 a young parishioner by the name of William Thompson applied for, and was given, the unanimous support of the vestry for postulancy for Holy Orders. In 1973 Fr. Bill Thompson returned to All Saints as curate and in 1975 when Fr. Behm took another assignment, Fr. Bill was elected the sixth rector of All Saints Parish.
Fr. Bill was the rector of All Saints from 1975 to 2012. This latest period of All Saints history has been challenging and exciting. By God’s grace, spiritual growth and strength occurred. And physically, there have been additions to the parish structure, such as: a columbarium to house the ashes of the saints who have gone before us and a much needed, much improved preschool space.
In 2004 with Fr. Bill’s guidance and the vestry’s unanimous concurrence, the parish voted overwhelmingly to sever ties with the recently renamed The Episcopal Church (TEC) and ask the Anglican Church of Uganda for oversight and protection. The congregation, for many years, had watched TEC drift away from the Truth of the Gospel (the faith that has been received), and could no longer be a part of that drift. So from August of 2004 and continuing for about 6 years, All Saints Church was a parish of the Anglican Church of Uganda, in the diocese of Luweero. Our Godly bishop during this time was the Right Reverend Evans Kisseka. Bishop Evans, and the diocese of Luweero, took us in at great monetary cost to our new diocese and the Anglican Church of Uganda. By standing with us for the Truth of the Gospel they lost all the financial support of TEC. However, this relationship that began in 2004 continues to this day. And, as an aside, the union spawned many short-term mission trips from All Saints to Luweero and vice-versa.
As a result of the decisions of faithful Anglicans around North America, Godly Archbishops from the Global South called for the formation of the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA), which is our new province. We also had the formation of our own diocese, The Diocese of Western Anglicans, and the election of our own bishop. The new diocese is especially dear to All Saints because our new bishop was our own Fr. Bill Thompson who served from 2009 to 2014.
All Saints was given the privilege to purchase from the Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles our beautiful place of worship and home-based for mission, and presently in a Capital Improvement campaign to address delayed maintenance.
Under the leadership of Archbishop Duncan who served from 2009 to 2014, the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) saw membership and attendance grow dramatically. Ed Stetzer, President of LifeWay Research Division said, “Nearly 500 churches in 5 years is a remarkable feat for any group of Christians. And North American Anglicans should be asking themselves, ‘What does God want us to do with this momentum and vitality!’ ACNA brothers and sisters!! Celebrate a truly remarkable move of God.” The College of Bishops in June 2014 chose The Right Rev. Dr. Foley Beach to be the next Archbishop of ACNA.
The Rector Search Committee of All Saints in 2012 voted unanimously to recommend and the Vestry unanimously voted to hire The Rev. Dr. Scott Pedersen to lead the church as Rector. Fr. Scott brings experience in and a love for discipleship and mission. You can read more about Fr. Scott under “About Us” and “Our Team” link on our website.
The history of All Saints parish is long and varied, and dedicated to spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We put all our faith and trust in the God of creation and redemption. We believe that Holy Scripture is God breathed and the truth. We are participating in the coming of the Kingdom of God to make all things new.